Table of Contents
- 1 What Is Amazon Handmade?
- 2 Should You Sell on Amazon Handmade?
- 3 Amazon Handmade vs. Etsy
- 4 How to Get Started with Amazon Handmade?
- 5 How to Benefit from SellerSonar When Selling on Amazon Handmade?
- 6 How to Find Products to Sell on Amazon Handmade?
- 7 Final Thoughts
Considering venturing into the world of selling on Amazon Handmade? Navigating this program can be a breeze with the right guidance.
While Amazon’s main marketplace is a go-to for many eCommerce businesses, Amazon Handmade offers a distinct space exclusively for artists and crafters to showcase their one-of-a-kind creations. With thousands of artisans already part of this specialized program, you can also leverage your skills by setting up a seller account and listing your craft products on AMZ. However, it all begins with submitting an application for approval. Once greenlit, you’ll gain access to a host of exclusive benefits.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through the steps to seamlessly create an account, ensuring a smooth selling experience without any roadblocks. Let’s dive in!
What Is Amazon Handmade?
Amazon Handmade is a dedicated platform within AMZ that allows artisans and craftsmen to sell their craft, one-of-a-kind products to a global audience. Unlike the broader AMZ Marketplace, which features a wide array of products from various sellers, Amazon Homemade exclusively showcases unique, handcrafted items created by independent artisans.
How Amazon Handmade works
Amazon craft market operates as a specialized section of AMZ’s larger eCommerce platform. Here’s how it works:
- Artisan Application: Skilled artisans and crafters apply to join the program. They must go through a verification process to ensure their products meet criteria.
- Store Setup: Once approved, artisans can create their own virtual shop within the platform. This includes customizing their shop page and listing their handmade products.
- Product Listings: Artisans can list their handcrafted items individually, providing detailed descriptions, pricing, and high-quality images. These product listings are similar to those on the main AMZ Marketplace.
- Customer Shopping: Customers browse through the extensive catalog of handmade goods, searching for unique and personalized items. They can purchase these items just like they would on regular Amazon.
- Order Fulfillment: When a customer places an order, artisans are responsible for fulfilling and shipping the order. AMZ provides tools and support to help streamline this process.
- Customer Reviews: Customers can leave reviews and ratings for products they’ve purchased, providing valuable feedback to both artisans and potential buyers.
- Support and Resources: It offers resources and guidance to artisans to help them succeed on the platform. This includes marketing tools and seller support.
Should You Sell on Amazon Handmade?
Whether to sell on Amazon Handmade depends on your unique products, business goals, and willingness to navigate the platform’s policies. For artisans seeking exposure to a broad audience interested in craft goods, this platform can be a valuable sales channel.
Pros and cons of Amazon Handmade
Here’s a breakdown of the pros and cons to help you make an informed decision:
- Targeted Audience: It caters exclusively to shoppers seeking unique, handcrafted items. This focused audience can lead to higher conversion rates for artisans.
- Built-In Customer Base: Leveraging the popularity of AMZ, artisans have access to a massive customer base already familiar with the platform.
- Seller Support: AMZ offers dedicated support for artisans, including resources, guides, and seller forums for assistance and advice.
- Trust and Credibility: Being associated with AMZ lends credibility to your brand, instilling trust in potential buyers.
- Fulfillment by Seller: Artisans have control over order fulfillment, allowing for a personal touch and quality assurance in packaging and shipping.
- Customer Reviews: Positive reviews on Amazon Handmade can enhance your reputation and attract more buyers.
- Strict Approval Process: Getting accepted into the marketplace can be competitive, and artisans must meet specific criteria to join the program.
- Competition: While the audience is targeted, there is also competition from other skilled artisans. Standing out requires unique and high-quality products.
- Amazon Handmade fees: AMZ charges various fees, including referral and fulfillment fees, which can impact profit margins.
- Limited Customization: While artisans can personalize their shop to an extent, the overall design and branding options are more limited compared to standalone websites.
- Policy Compliance: Artisans must adhere to Amazon’s policies and guidelines, which may include restrictions on certain materials or production methods.
- Risk of Suspension: Violating the platform’s policies or receiving negative feedback can lead to account suspension.
Amazon Handmade vs. Etsy
Regarding showcasing and selling handmade, artisanal products, two prominent platforms come to mind: AMZ Handmade and Etsy. Each offers a unique space for skilled artisans to present their creations to a global audience. Let’s delve deeper into the specific attributes and advantages of both marketplaces.
- Market Size and Reach
Amazon stands as a giant in the eCommerce world, boasting one of the largest customer bases worldwide. This extensive reach can potentially translate to higher visibility and sales.
- Integration with Main Amazon Marketplace:
Products listed on AMZ craft market can also appear in the main AMZ Marketplace, potentially increasing their visibility.
- Diverse Product Categories
It covers a wide spectrum of craft goods, including jewelry, home decor, clothing, beauty products, and more. This diversity can attract a broad range of customers with varying interests.
- Customer Behavior
Amazon’s customer base often arrives with a clear intent to make a purchase. This behavior can result in higher conversion rates for sellers.
- Fulfillment Options
Sellers have the flexibility to fulfill orders themselves or opt for Amazon’s FBA service, streamlining the order processing experience.
- Prime Eligibility
Craft items listed on AMZ can be eligible for Amazon Prime, potentially drawing in Prime members who seek expedited shipping.
- Seller Fees
The marketplace charges referral fees, which vary depending on the category of the product.
- Artisanal Focus and Niche Market:
Etsy has carved a niche for itself by exclusively focusing on handmade, vintage, and craft supplies. This specialization draws buyers specifically seeking one-of-a-kind, artisanal products.
- Community and Brand Loyalty:
Etsy has cultivated a strong sense of community among buyers and sellers, emphasizing the importance of supporting independent artisans. This can lead to higher brand loyalty among customers.
- Customization and Branding:
Sellers on Etsy have the ability to customize their shopfronts, allowing for more distinct branding and presentation of their products.
- Review System:
Etsy places significant importance on customer reviews and feedback, which can greatly influence a seller’s reputation and trustworthiness on the platform.
- Global Shipping Profiles:
Etsy provides sellers with the ability to set different shipping profiles for various regions, allowing for flexibility in shipping options and costs.
- Listing Fees
Etsy charges a listing fee for each item, along with a transaction fee upon sale.
How to Get Started with Amazon Handmade?
Getting started with the platform is a straightforward process. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you set up your Amazon Handmade seller account.
Step 1: Check Eligibility
Ensure that your products meet Amazon Handmade’s criteria for being handmade, unique, and not mass-produced. Review the program’s eligibility requirements to confirm that your creations align with their guidelines.
Step 2: Create an Amazon Seller Account
If you don’t already have an Amazon seller account, you’ll need to create one. Visit the Amazon Seller Central website and click on the “Register now” button to begin the registration process.
Step 3: Apply for AMZ Homemade
Once you have a seller account, navigate to the “Amazon Handmade” section within Seller Central. Click “Apply Now” to start the application process.
Step 4: Complete the Application
Provide the requested information in the application, including details about your handmade products, the production process, and a brief description of your business. Be honest and transparent in your responses.
- Share Your Business Details: Provide your business name, contact, and what handmade products you’ll sell. Explain how you make them.
- Describe Your Process: Along with pictures, detail how you create your products and make sure it align with Amazon Handmade’s guidelines.
- Show Your Products: Give clear, quality images highlighting the handmade nature.
- Choose a Category: If your category isn’t listed, it’s not allowed on Amazon Handmade.
- Give More Info: Share social media or store links for a better understanding of your handmade business.
Step 5: Upload Supporting Documentation
You may be required to upload photos and documents to verify the authenticity of your handmade products. This could include images of your workspace, materials used, and the creation process.
Step 6: Wait for Approval
The platform will review your application. This process can take several days to a few weeks. Be patient and monitor your email for updates from Amazon regarding your application status.
Step 7: Set Up Your Shop
Once approved, you can set up your shop. Customize your shop’s name, banner, and logo. Add your products, complete with detailed listings, high-quality images, and competitive pricing.
Step 8: Start Selling
With your shop set up, you can start selling your handmade products to a global audience. Monitor your shop’s performance, respond to customer inquiries promptly, and fulfill orders promptly to build a positive reputation.
Step 9: Consider Fulfillment Options
Decide whether you’ll fulfill orders yourself or opt for Amazon’s FBA (Fulfillment by Amazon) service, which can handle storage, packaging, and shipping on your behalf.
Step 10: Promote Your Shop
Utilize Amazon Handmade’s marketing tools and consider external promotion methods to increase the visibility of your handmade products and attract more customers.
Remember that success often requires dedication, a focus on quality, and effective marketing. To thrive on this platform, continuously strive to improve your product listings and customer service.
How to Benefit from SellerSonar When Selling on Amazon Handmade?
Selling on Amazon Handmade can be a lucrative venture, and leveraging third-party tools like SellerSonar can significantly enhance your success. Here’s how SellerSonar’s product listing tool can streamline your craft business.
- Real-time alerts: SellerSonar continuously monitors your product listings and provides instant notifications for critical changes or issues. This includes alerts for alterations to product pages, Buybox hijacking attempts, new or deleted reviews, keyword rank fluctuations, price changes, and product suppressions. These real-time alerts ensure that you’re always informed and can take immediate action when necessary.
- Competitor monitoring: SellerSonar simplifies competitor tracking by allowing you to effortlessly add your competitors’ ASINs to your monitoring list. You can then compare crucial factors such as pricing, customer ratings, and review quantities. This valuable data empowers you to stay ahead of your competition and make informed pricing and marketing decisions.
- Keyword performance: Monitoring relevant keywords is essential for optimizing your product listings’ visibility in search results. SellerSonar provides in-depth insights into how your selected keywords rank over time. This data helps you fine-tune your listings to improve their discoverability and attract more potential buyers.
- Review analysis: Maintaining a positive reputation is crucial in the eCommerce world. SellerSonar’s review analysis feature allows you to effectively monitor customer feedback. It detects new positive and critical reviews, as well as any changes or removals. This information enables you to address customer concerns promptly and maintain a strong seller rating.
Ready to try? Don’t miss out on SellerSonar’s free 29-day trial. Register now and gain a competitive edge in the marketplace!
How to Find Products to Sell on Amazon Handmade?
Finding products to sell on Amazon Handmade requires a combination of creativity, market research, and understanding your target audience. Below are some tips to help you get started:
1.Explore Handmade Marketplaces
Browse other marketplaces, such as Etsy or ArtFire, to discover trending products and get inspiration for your own creations.
2. Attend Craft Shows and Markets
Visit local craft shows, art fairs, and markets to see what types of products are popular and meet other artisans for networking opportunities.
3. Social Media and Forums
Engage with artisan communities on social media platforms like Pinterest, Instagram, and Reddit. These platforms can be great sources for discovering trends and connecting with fellow creators.
4. Google Trends and Keyword Research
Use tools like Google Trends and keyword research to identify popular product categories and search terms. This can provide insights into what customers are searching for.
5. Consider Personal Passions and Hobbies
Draw inspiration from your own interests and hobbies. Your genuine passion for a particular craft can lead to unique and authentic products.
6. Subscribe to Artisan Blogs and Newsletters
Stay updated on the latest handmade trends by following artisan blogs and subscribing to newsletters from communities and industry experts.
7. Visit Local Artisan Studios and Workshops
Explore local artisan studios and workshops to see what other creators are working on. This can provide valuable insights into techniques, materials, and trending styles.
8. Utilize Online Marketplaces and Directories:
Platforms like Pinterest, Etsy, and even Amazon itself can serve as resources for discovering popular products and trends.
Remember, the key is to balance popular trends with your own unique style and craftsmanship. By staying informed and being true to your creative vision, you’ll easily find or create products that resonate with your target audience.
Amazon Handmade presents a world of opportunities for artisans, and when it comes to managing your handmade business effectively, leveraging third-party tools can be a game-changer.
Services like SellerSonar are designed to enhance your selling experience and streamline your operations. With its user-friendly interface and comprehensive features, it’s a valuable companion for both seasoned sellers and newcomers.
Take advantage of the demo to experience firsthand how SellerSonar can revolutionize your selling in the marketplace.